Yarn Therapy

Renewal, down to the fiber of my being.....(snicker)!

Monday, December 03, 2007

Almost Year-End Wrap Up

Last December, I made New Year's Knitalutions. Looking at them now, I did pretty well. Let's review:


1. Finish UFOs (a good attempt)

There were some failed projects, but they got frogged if I didn't finish them. The exception is my one Inside-Out sock. I have very bad SSS.

2. Take time to use good finishing

I am getting much better at this, because I realized that I can knit pieces perfectly, only to finish them into something that looks like doo-doo. I tried to take a finishing class at a LYS, but it was a terrible bust. Not sure if I will try again at another LYS, or just continue on myself.

3. Frog and redo, when necessary

Yes. Getting much better at this, realizing that, if I go to the trouble of buying expensive yarn and many hours knitting something, I might as well redo parts if they aren't the way they should be.

4. Start xmas presents earlier

I am not doing as many this year, which helps. However, I did start earlier.

5. Make one thing with lace

I made Camelia, by Stefanie Japel. I love the way it turned out.

6. Make one thing with cables

I am making Mr. Greenjeans out of Malabrigo worsted in a lovely teal green color. It is going so well, I vow to make many more things with cables in the near future.

7. Make one thing with intarsia

Nope. I tried the Heart Hoodie from Knit Picks and the gauge was just off, so I will try again later. I also want to start some fair isle projects.

8. Make Jaywalkers!

My attempt just failed miserably. I just can't seem to get the right gauge and don't have the patience to play with it. So I am the only knitter in the universe who is Jaywalker-less. Maybe I'll try Monkeys next.

9. Make a vest

Yes, did Sloane. I love wearing it, although I need to take in the side seams. I have two more vest patterns to try, one for me and one for dh.

10. Make the Yarnplay sweater!

Did it!

11. Make a shawl

Again, I tried, but lost interest in the scrap shawl idea. I have a shawl pattern from WEBS that I want to start, but haven't found the right yarn yet. That will probably be my first shawl.

12. Use circular needles whenever possible.

I think I have used circs almost all the time. What has made that easier is that I have made a bunch of things in the round from the top down. I also bought the Harmony needle set from Knit Picks, the pretty, colorful, wooden ones, and I LOVE them.

So that is my wrap up! I think I did pretty well, and it has been a good knitting year. Now that I'm on Ravelry, I am more organized and have increased access to LOADS of information and inspiration. I also started going occasionally to a knitting group that meets weekly (I don't go every week). I learn a lot from being around other knitters.

This year I also got up the nerve and submitted several items to the local county fair and won 3 ribbons!

My secret wish is to meet a fellow knitter with whom I really connect (locally or on the net) and develop a close friendship. Maybe in 2008!

How was your knit-year? What do you hope to do in the next one?

1 Comments:

Blogger CaveGurl said...

Those are some great knitalutions! I may have to come up with some for myself. I've never made socks, so that will definitely be one of mine for 2008.

I have the same secret wish. I made some really great friends through swaps in 2007, so maybe you should try some swaps.

Have a Happy & Blessed New Year!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home